- Coming from a single parent home
- Facing family problems like regular fights & quarrels or drinking or addictions
- Facing challenging economic conditions at home, worse than peers
Our research shows that all these conditions can lead to adverse outcomes like drop-out from school, early entry into the workforce and early marriage. Children facing such conditions are rarely supported in group environments like the classroom. 1-1 mentorship through MT’s program team and a volunteer mentor can be important to help a child counter these challenges that they face.
The children receive a mentor from the middle of Grade 8 to the end of Grade 9. In Grade 10 mentees receive an academic and career planning module directly from Mentor Together through workshops. Our end goal is to help these children gain the life skills and support that they need to make a successful transition from high school.
- Mentors will have to travel to mentee locations for the 1-1 meetings. Across the 3 cities, the mentee locations are:
- Gurgaon: Sector 45. Students go to a low-income private school called Rao Ram Singh Public School.
- Pune: Hadapsar, Ramwadi, Wadgaonsheri and Pimple Gaurav and students go to government schools in these neighbourhoods
- Delhi: Madavali (Near Talaab Park) and West Vinod Nagar, Patparganj. Students are from government schools.
- Mentors need to meet with mentees at least 2 times in a month supporting them for a total of 4 hours per month for a total of 1 year. Most meetings happen on weekends and the meeting time slots are decided mutually by each mentor-mentee pair.
- Mentors receive training and curriculum, to help them through mentoring.
Point of Contact for clarifications or queries:
About the organisation:
Mentor Together is an award-winning non-profit organization that has pioneered the youth mentoring movement in India. With over 9 years of expertise, Mentor Together has matched over 5500 mentees and is currently present across 6 cities (Bangalore, Pune, Hyderabad, Chennai, Delhi & Mumbai) and 4 peri-urban/rural areas. Volunteer mentors take up a one-year relationship, with mandated 2-3 meetings per month. Mentor Together provides training, curriculum and a network of support to mentors.
Mentor Together has been supported by Cognizant, Cisco, Fidelity, Magic Bus and Edelgive Foundation amongst others. We have been featured in The Guardian, at the World Economic Forum, CNBC, Indian Express, India Today and many other platforms. You could understand more about our program on our website: www.mentortogether.org