On account of World Oceans Day join us for the cleanup on June 7 @ 6-8 AM at the location of your choice organised by Bhumi with Chennai Trekking Club
Open to volunteers of all ages, individuals & members of other organisations
Detailed cleanup info will be shared in the week before the event
For other volunteering events in Chennai, join our Chennai Volunteers facebook group
1. What should I pick up?
We will be segregating garbage in three main categories. Familiarize yourself with each of these:
1. Glass Bottles: (Alcohol Bottles, Broken Glass pieces, Broken Glass bottles, Glass Medicinal Bottles and other Glass Items)
2. Polythene and Plastic (Predominantly recyclable ): (All polythene wrappers, Carry Bags, PET Bottles, Plastic Containers, Water Pockets, Thermocol, Milk Covers and all kind of Plastic materials)
3. Others: (Shoes, Slippers, Fishing Nets, Styrofoam, ropes and anything not covered in the above two categories)
Your coordinator will assign you to one particular category of garbage. Collect only the garbage that fits in the criteria. There will a lot of other stuff lying around. You can conveniently ignore them because -There will be some other person assigned to pick that up!
2. Why do we have this classification of garbage into three categories
There is one and only one reason -To recycle and reuse the garbage collected.
To enable recycling to the maximum extent, source segregation is the key and hence the classification.
3. Do I pick the garbage with my bare hands?
You will be given one glove (Not a pair. Optimum utilization you see! ). Wear it before you pick up anything.
4. How do I collect the garbage I pick?
Step 1: Choose a partner
Step 2: Collect a re-usable collecting bag from your coordinator
Step 3: Share the bag with your partner and start picking garbage
5. Do I collect glass bottles with the same gloves? Won’t it hurt?
You have a valid point! You cannot collect glass bottles with the thin gloves. So if you are assigned the category one, then ensure that you get the separate thick gloves to pick glass and a separate jute bag to collect.
6. What do I do when my bag is full?
Collection points will be assigned for your zone of which your coordinator will inform you about. A volunteer will be stationed at the point to guide you.
If you are collecting glass, just leave the filled up bag at the collection point and get a new bag.
If you are collecting plastics or others, dump them into the big bags kept at the collection points and resume your work with the emptied bag.
7. What happens to the collected garbage?
our mission is to recycle the maximum (We recycled 80% of the 30 ton garbage that we picked up last year). So all the piles of garbage mounted at the collection points will be loaded onto trucks. The recyclables – glass and plastics – will be taken to the dump yard of our official recycling partner EARTH RECYCLERS from where it would be recycled.
The others category waste will be sent to the dump yard of the Chennai Corporation where it will be let to decompose.
8. What will you guys do if you get money out of the garbage this year?
The collections would be directed towards CTC social activities, tree plantation drives, maintenance & next year’s cleanup.
9. Seriously! What do you guys get out of this event?
The satisfaction that we tried. That we made a difference. That we were able to start a change.
See you all on June 7th 2015 at 6 am.