The 2018 DaanUtsav Internship programme is an opportunity for young professionals to create significant social change.
DaanUtsav, earlier called Joy of Giving Week (JGW), is India’s very own festival of giving. It aims to spread love, joy and happiness among those who are less fortunate than us, and for each one of us to experience the joy in giving. DaanUtsav is celebrated for a week starting Gandhi Jayanti (Oct 2-8) every year, and was launched in 2009.
From celebrities and CEOs, to auto drivers and maids, school and college students to village communities, millions of people participate in the festival ever year in various ways- from organizing large fundraisers that raise lacs and crores, to reading out stories to children, making and distributing sandwiches on the street, to organizing donation, collection and volunteering drives, the festival sees participation from hundreds of corporates, schools, colleges, NGOs, apartments, villages and community groups across India.
A group of 100+ volunteers and champions across India promote the festival and millions participate! A very rough estimate indicates that about 50-60 lac people participated in 2017 DaanUtsav.
DaanUtsav 2018 will be celebrated from October 2-8, 2018 across India.
The internship period is 3-6 months, and requires full-time commitment from May/June/July 2018 – Oct 15, 2018.
The duration will depend on the city/location. Each intern is assigned a local coordinator, who is a DaanUtsav volunteer himself/herself, and will work from the offices of the Coordinator’s organization, or in a local nonprofit organization.
- Full-time commitment for the stipulated period
- Three/Four/Five or Six month full-time commitment from May/June/July – Oct 15, 2018
- Stipend: Base of Rs 10000 – Rs 15000, plus Rs 3000 – Rs 5000 to cover travel & communication
- Potential Internships
- Tier 1: Bengaluru, Delhi, Hyderabad and Mumbai
- Tier 2: Mangalore, Lucknow, Jaipur
- Tier 3: Hubli/Dharwad, Davangere, Mysore, Belagavi, Shimoga
Download the application form here: Internship Application 2018.
If any point is not applicable to you, please leave it blank. All items marked * at the beginning are compulsory Do not delete any Items. Please do not attach any images/photos/videos or documents to this form.
The DaanUtsav Internship Experience
The Internship is a grueling and demanding work experience. Each intern is required to spend at least 48 hours a week, but we expect that most will wind up spending more than 55 hours, and having great fun doing so.
- Each Intern is assigned a Coordinator, who is also a DaanUtsav volunteer. Coordinators are senior corporate executives, business leaders or social entrepreneurs. Each coordinator is committed to spending at least 10-20 hours a month in mentoring the Interns, helping them reflect, learn and grow, and pick up soft and hard skills to work effectively and achieve goals. Coordinators will provide significant initial guidance and training, followed by daily support and monitoring to the Intern throughout the duration of the Internship.
- Interns get to interact with a wide range of business leaders and executives, social entrepreneurs and NGOs, school and college leaders, government administrators and community leaders. This kind of exposure is rarely available in any other opportunity, and will help Interns create phenomenal relationships and networks across their city.
- Interns work closely with passionate volunteers in their own city
- Interns build strong communication, presentation and persuasion skills, self- confidence, positive values and beliefs, greater compassion and caring, a deeper understanding of India’s social issues and challenges as well as possible solutions to them.
- Interns receive a certificate on successful completion of the Internship Programme from the host organisation.
DaanUtsav Internship Requirements
An ideal Intern would be
- A graduate or post graduate from a reputed college, with stellar academic and extra-curricular credentials
- An extroverted person who likes going out and meeting people
- Very comfortable using email, computers
- Fluent in English and the local language of the city s/he will be based in
- Willing to work hard to scale the festival in the assigned location
- Comfortable with suitable local commute
If you have any doubts about these, please reach out to: Rajan Narayanan at firstname.lastname@example.org